15th IISRC Conference
The 15th International Information Security
Research Consortium Conference
The 15th Scientific Conference of the International Information Security Research Consortium (IISRC) and
International Conference «Cyberstability: approaches, prospects, challenges» have been held on December 14, 2017 at the Reception House of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation in Moscow.
The united Conference was co-chaired by Head organizer of the IISRC, Adviser of the Security Council of Russian Federation, Director of Lomonosov Moscow State University Institute of Information Security Issues (IISI MSU) Vladislav P. Sherstyuk, and Editor-in-Chief of the Journal «International Affairs» Armen G. Oganesyan.
Representatives of the Academy of Sciences of Belarus, MMC Norilsk Nickel (Russia), the East-West Institute (USA), SecDev Foundation (Canada) and the international Institute for strategic studies (UK), Kaspersky Lab (Russia), the Institute of Electronics and Telecommunications (IE&T) under Kyrgyz State Technical University named after I. Razzakov took part in the XV Conference.
Themes of the XV Scientific Conference were:
- Frameworks for implementation of norms, rules and principles for the responsible behavior of the States in the ICT environment.
- Current issues of information security in the context of Digital Economy development.
- Botnet of things: threats, trends and possible countering frameworks.
- Draft Charter for Information security of critical industrial facilities.
- Issues of ensuring the «digital sovereignty» of the States.
- Influence of ICT factors on Strategic stability.
The following reports have been made at the Conference:
- Vladislav Sherstyuk (theses of the speech in Russian
- Editor-in-Chief of the Journal «International Affairs» Armen Oganesyan;
- Vladislav Gasumyanov, Vice-President – Chief of Corporate Security Block, Norilsk Nickel, Russia, «The draft Charter for information security of critical information infrastructures of industrial facilities»
(presentation in Russian
- Rafal Rohozinski (SecDev Foundation (Canada)/ International Institute for Strategic Studies (UK)), «The draft Charter for information security of critical information infrastructures of industrial facilities (presentation in Russian)»
- Pavel Pilyugin (IISI MSU), «Principles of delimitation of zones of the international responsibility of states for activities in the ICT environment» (report in Russian)»
- Andrey Yarnikh (Kaspersky Lab), «IOT 2017» (presentation in Russian)
- Alexander Kurbatski (Academy of Sciences of Belarus/ Belarusian State University) «The path to digital sovereignty of a small state»;
- Vladimir Ivanov (East-West Institute), the report about the scientific projects of the EWI on cybersecurity;
- Konstantin Peschanenko (Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation) «On military-political aspects of ensuring international information security» (report in Russian)
- Alexander Smirnov (Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation) «Non-state actors in modern information wars» (presentation in Russian)
The united Conference was also attended the Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation Oleg Syromolotov, the Special Representative of the President of the Russian Federation for International Cooperation on Information Security Andrey Krutskikh, the Member of the Federation Council of the Russian Federation Olga Timofeeva, Chief Adviser of the administrative office of the Security Council of the Russian Federation Sergey Korotkov, Director of the Department of new challenges and threats of the Russian Foreign Ministry Ilya Rogachev, Julia Tomilova, Russian Foreign Ministry, representatives of the Main scientific-research computing center of the Department of presidential Affairs of Russia, Institute of world economy and international relations and Institute of State and Law of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Russian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, representatives of the Russian media, as well as international organizations-the International Committee of the Red Cross and the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).
The Conference participants shared a common understanding of the growing danger of already existing and new information and cyber threats that could cause irreparable damage to mankind. Support was expressed for the proposal to continue the discussion of ways to jointly confront these threats on the sidelines of the XII Forum in Garmisch-Partenkirchen (Germany) in April 2018.
The draft Summary of the united Conference was prepared on the basis of presentations and discussions.
of the 15th Scientific Conference
of the International Information Security Research Consortium (IISRC)
International Conference “Cyberstability: approaches, prospects, challenges”
December 14, 2017 Moscow
The participants of the Scientific Conference of the International Information Security Research Consortium (hereinafter referred to as the Consortium) and the International Conference "Cyberstability: approaches, prospects, challenges" have discussed the following issues at past sessions:
agenda of the 2018 International Forum «Partnership of State Authorities, Civil Society and the Business Community in Ensuring International Information Security» in Garmisch-Partenkirchen (further International Forum);
proposals of Consortium members for joint research projects;
expansion of the use of the International Forum for Stakeholder Consultations on the topical Issues of development of the International Information Security (IIS) System.
Taking into consideration the analysis of reports and presentations at the today’s Conferences, participants propose the following topics for discussion at the International Forum:
frameworks for implementation of norms, rules and principles for the responsible behavior of the States in the ICT environment;
challenges of countering the use of ICTs for military and political purposes;
challenges of implementation of public-private partnership in the field of ensuring the security of critical infrastructure of society;
challenges of ensuring the "digital sovereignty" of the States;
the impact of ICT factors on strategic stability.
The participants support the project of the «Charter for Information security of critical industrial facilities» proposed by the MMC Norilsk Nickel and recommend to present this project to the business community for a wider discussion. Participants propose to hold a special round table on information security of critical industrial facilities at the International Forum with the participation and support of the Autonomous Nonprofit Organization "Information Security in Industry" (ISI Club) and the international expert community.
The participants support the proposal of the representative of the International Institute for Strategic Studies and a group of organizations interested in cooperation with the Consortium to hold at the International Forum a special round table on the issues of military stability in cyberspace, with participation of experts from Russia, the United States and China.
Participants note the growing need to expand the joint research conducted by the Consortium, develop frameworks and methods to counter the threats to IIS, and to increase the relevance of creating the conditions for the progressive development of international law regulating relations in the related field.
The participants agreed that the following projects can be chosen as priority projects of the Consortium:
development of a draft manual on the application of rules, principles and norms of responsible behavior of the States in the ICT environment;
the draft “Charter for Information security of critical industrial facilities”;
frameworks for objectifying data on incidents in the ICT environment and attribution of States responsible for the occurrence of the incidents;
approaches to delimitation of the areas of State responsibility in the ICT environment;
frameworks for the creation of an international body for disputes on the information sphere.
Participants recommend that the organizers of the International Forum intensify the search for solutions to the following issues:
expansion of the participation of representatives of the Russian and International business community in discussions of the issues of organization of a public-private partnership in the field of IIS;
expansion the information sharing with the international expert community on the implementation of joint research projects, as well as the results of the International Forum;
Participants of the Conferences are proposing to discuss the measures necessary to implement the Consortium's research projects at the 2018 International Forum in Garmisch-Partenkirchen.